|Ñaxi is the smallest of the seven main
islands in the lonian Sea, with a surface area of
ïnlã 19 square kilometres, or 21 if Antipaxi is
included. The islands lie to the South of Corfu,
from which they are separated by a channel seven
miles wide. The distance bet-ween Corfu harbour
and Paxi is 32 miles. Ôï the East, Paxi lies
ïñ-posite Parga. The islands have á total
population of about 3,000 and the capltal Is
known as Gaios.
The islands' economy, expect for the
proceeds of oil production, is based on tourism which has
notably increasd in recent years. Today the island offers
some 2000 rooms to redcomprising, 4000 beds and two
hotels accommodating up to 120 clients.
town of Gaios has a considerable cultural heritage:
there are some 63 churches (notable among them
Our Lady 'Ipapantl' at Lakka, built in 1600, Our
Lady 'Velilaniton', the Prophet Elias and others),
there are numerous windmills, such as those of Lesianitis
over the cliff at Mousmouli, St. Íicholas on its
éslet ïf the same name, Lakka, Longouaéçd
Kastanida. There are also cunningly - constructed
water tanks, the remains of old olivepresses, and
stone built houses of traditional design and
outstanding craftsmanship. Ámïng these buildings
are the Governor's Residense, the Papamarkos house,
the house ot the Kori, the house at Kokkiniatika
andçd others, all of which are worth á visit.
The island also has á Historicall Archive, a Library
an Arts Centre and a radio station.